AFLW 2019 To Kick Off With New Teams And Better Facilities
The AFLW is back with two new Victorian teams and better facilities for players and spectators as part of the Andrews Labor Government’s $50 million investment in women’s sport.
Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula today joined AFLW stars to celebrate the season launch and welcome Geelong and North Melbourne to the women’s competition.
There’s been a massive increase in female participation in football, from 9,354 registered players in 2016 to 26,400 in 2018.
The Labor Government is supporting this growth, delivering the facilities our AFLW stars need to shine and inspire even more women and girls to play.
The Government’s investments in AFLW venues include:
- $20 million to redevelop Ikon Park into the home of women’s football
- $13 million for Stage 2 of the Moorabbin Oval redevelopment, to build a range of community facilities and deliver upgrades that will enable the Saints AFLW team to play there from 2020
- $5 million to improve playing conditions at Casey Fields for AFLW competition
- $5 million to improve facilities for AFLW players, umpires and spectators at Whitten Oval
- $2 million for infrastructure upgrades for AFLW at Victoria Park.
It’s not just the elite game that’s receiving unprecedented investment – the Labor Government’s $180m Community Sports Infrastructure Fund and Country Football and Netball Program have supported 150 projects across the state to make facilities female friendly and encourage women and girls to get involved.
The Change Our Game campaign, supported by $7.2 million from the Labor Government, is also working to level the playing field for women and girls in sport and recreation.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula
“The 2019 AFLW season kicks off this weekend in Geelong, and I would encourage all footy fans to get along and enjoy the action.”
“Whether you’re going down to your local club to try footy for the first time or you’re an elite AFLW player, the Andrews Labor Government is making sure women and girls have access to the facilities they need.”